[rescue] A5000 questions...

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Thu Aug 7 08:33:42 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:41:25AM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Which brings up the question... Why the HELL did Sun ever put PCI in it's
> workstations??

Cost of peripherals.  Heck, even cost of connectors could be a good
reason.  We are using PCI connectors (but not the bus specification)
because of how darn cheap they are.

Plus, thanks to Sun switching to PCI, we now have opportunities to do
things like pick up a cheap PC SCSI card, make a quick mod, and have it
work in our Sun for a 10th the cost of the equivelent Sun card.