[rescue] What to do with those USB "pen" drives...

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Aug 6 22:16:25 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 10:12 PM, N. Miller wrote:

> I thought some of you might find this interesting...how to
> get around using M$ OS when you are not using your own
> computer (albeit x86-oriented):
>
> <http://www.pycs.net/bbum/2003/04/01.html>, which
> refers to:
> <http://www.knoppix.org/>
>
> Apparently you can boot off the CD and use the USB pen
> drive (or probably other flash media as well) as your home
> directory.  Very cool.

In theory, I have yet to try this, you could boot a Mac and some PCs
from "removable media".  On Macs you should be able to install OS 9 on
a 256M flash drive and designate it the startup disk.  I'll have to
check into this just out of curiosity.  Not sure how USB booting would
affect boot speed though.

Mike Hebel

--
Medieval Combat anyone? http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=694655