[rescue] Rare Mac apparently...

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Aug 6 18:59:04 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 01:05 PM, William Enestvedt wrote:

>> Suggestions for further inquiries if nothing else?
>>
>    You could browse the pictures at www.apple-histry.com, or ask on
> the LEM
> lists.
>    What kinds of ports are on the back? And what model number did you
> (mis-)record?

Further investigation (apple-history), turns up that one
code name for Quadra 700s, which is the model number that
I recorded, was "Spike"--I am wondering if I have an internal
specially produced box, a developer's pre-release (it came
from Digi-design, where this guy worked at), or prototype?

The full name on the back was "Spike PVT"--on the usual type of
thick sticker they have, with the model #M5920.  Nothing
about the printing on this sticker looks anything other than
"official", meaning it looks just like the released models.
It has the typical serial numbers you see on this era machine,
bar code above with terminal type printing underneath, asterisk
in front and in back of the serial number.

There is another Quadra 700 we can compare it against, but
the case, iirc (I looked at a *lot* of Macs yesterday :-)
looked slightly different from the other Quadra.  It may
well be that the logo came off, it was weird looking, so
I didn't think of that.  I'll have to compare the guts of
the two and see if it has the usual pre-production hints.

Does anyone know if modern B&W G3 or G4 mobo's will match
up on Quadra 950/PowerMac 9600 backs where all the ports
are?  There's a stripped Quadra 950 and a stripped 9600
case that might make good FrankenG4's if they didn't
require too much metal hacking.

If anyone would like the full list of systems, let me know,
and I'll send it.  He rescued all this stuff when DigiDesign
was moving a year or so ago--it sounded like it was all going
to the recyclers to be crushed.  So, there are a few machines
in the stack that are loaded for audio processing bear.

=Nadine=