[rescue] backup software

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Aug 6 16:17:57 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 01:36 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> amanda ?
>
> Doesn't it write the tapes in tar format ?
>
> I've not used it... looked into it a few times, and there were some
> things I liked about the way it did things...
>
> Wonder how it compares to Bacula ?

   Amanda uses dump, not tar, though I think it can be configured to use
GNU tar...GNU tar in particular because of its incremental backup
capabilities.

   I've run Amanda in a very large installation (many hundreds of
machines being backed up to a single 4GB DAT) with excellent results.
In those days, though, a 4GB disk was considered pretty big, so the
requirement for a holding disk wasn't that much of a big deal.

         -Dave