[rescue] AUX was: Anybody remember MFM? (Durango Poppy II problem)

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Wed Aug 6 13:45:00 CDT 2003

> From: Steve Sandau <ssandau at bath.tmac.com>

> I have A/UX installed on a iici (I think), and I believe that I did it
> from CD, since that's the only medium I have it on. I can't say that I
> remember exactly how I did it beyond the small mac partition to boot the
> A/UX partition. But if I hve something that might help (like the disk
> here labeled A/UX 3.0.1 boot) I'd be glad to send it...
>
> I could dd the floppy to a file and email it to you if that'd help...

A/UX came with a 68030 install floppy and a 68040 install floppy for use on
the appropriate architecture, and the install CD. The install makes a small
Mac partition with a stripped System 7 and 1 or more A/UX partitions. The
Mac boot System 7, and then immediately runs the A/UX loader. I can confirm
that 3.0.1 runs great on an SE/30 and a Workgroup Server 95 (Quadra 950 with
the PDS cache card/SCSI controller).

It's kind of weird, but not weirder that some other *NIX's from that time
period. <grin>

It doesn't run on many systems; From  the A/UX FAQ
(http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aux-faq/):

A/UX 3.0 works on the MacII (with PMMU _or_ 68030 upgrade with FDHD ROM's
installed), IIx, IIcx, IIci, IIfx, SE/30, IIsi (with 68882 chip) and the
Quadra 700|900|950 computers. A/UX 3.0.1 (and later) adds support for the
Q800 and Centris Machines (the Centrises _must_ have the real 68040 w/FPU -
See Q&A #G.03). A/UX will run on the Quadra 610 and 650s (recall that A/UX
requires the _real_ 68040 chip!) with a little bit of work.

A/UX will NOT run on the PowerMacs, any AV machines, any PowerBooks (or
portables), the LCs, the Duos, the ClassicII, the Q605 or on the Quadra
630... It is recommended that you NOT run A/UX 3.1.1 on the II, IIx, IIcx or
SE/30 machines, since their MacOS-compatibility is unreliable under 3.1.1.