[rescue] backup software

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Aug 6 12:34:39 CDT 2003

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> For the most part, I wish to have a scalable backup system that leaves
> the actual archives in a format than can be read without the backup
> system.

   NetBackup uses (GNU?) tar to write the archives, and its "database" is a
vast directory of ASCII files with ctime time-stamps.  Sure, I cuss the out a
lot, but at least I can write my own (homely) shells scripts to work with the
stuff. (Tape with multiplexed backups is another question entirely...)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator