[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Aug 6 12:32:20 CDT 2003

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>
>On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:51:49AM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo
>+1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>
>> If you just want a FCAL JBOD (basically a box with power supply and
>> backplane), I have seen them for about $189, capable of taking 7-10
>> drives.  I don't remember where though...
>
>I can get most any SCSI box for that much.
>
>That's a *lot* to pay to house my $75 worth of three new 18GB SCSI
>drives.
>
>Most SCSI boxes are basically PC-case quality boxes with a power supply.
>They shouldn't be any more than the cheap PC cases.

Usually a beefy PC power supply is used (or two).  It can have the "extra"
voltages and not use them.

As for why they are more than cheap PC cases.....  quantity of production.
Since they are NOT PC cases they can't use the economy of scale of production
of PC cases.  Most I've seen are actually a bit more rugged as well, as they
are usually going to hold more weight.

Plus the cost of the SCSI cabling (although that should be cheap for a
manufacturer).

One thing I've done is buy an older narrow cabled SCSI case, and purchase
cabling to upgrade it to wide SCSI.  This is cheaper (especially if you
already own some narrow SCSI enclosures like I do :-) ).

-- Curt