[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Aug 6 12:03:54 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 11:27 AM, Charles Shannon Hendrix
wrote:
>> If you just want a FCAL JBOD (basically a box with power supply and
>> backplane), I have seen them for about $189, capable of taking 7-10
>> drives.  I don't remember where though...
>
> I can get most any SCSI box for that much.
>
> That's a *lot* to pay to house my $75 worth of three new 18GB SCSI
> drives.
>
> Most SCSI boxes are basically PC-case quality boxes with a power
> supply.
> They shouldn't be any more than the cheap PC cases.
>
> I can see a little more because of cabling, and the "special" 5/12 volt
> power supply, but not over $100 more.

   Uhhhh...Have you ever *seen* an A5000?  Take a look at one if you get
the chance.  This isn't cheap minimalist PC crap...This is real data
center equipment.

   Also...with FC-AL, there's a lot more in there than just cabling and
power supplies.  The A5000 in particular has a touch screen on the
front...You can power up & down each drive, get status and temperature,
take either loop online on offline, etc.  You can also do all that
stuff via software over the FC-AL interface.

          -Dave