[rescue] E3000's

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Aug 6 10:18:02 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 03:48:50PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 03:46 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >>   Well, most x86 implementations (at least the ones I've looked at)
> >>don't have particularly good CPAI numbers, man.  I don't think we're
> >>in
> >>danger of that any time soon, at least until Intel focuses on
> >>something
> >>other that process technology and marketing.
> >
> >Yes, but their power draw is generally quite low compared to Real
> >Hardware.
>
>   Really?  With all those huge fanned heatsinks?  I've not looked at
> their power specs but hearing that surprises me.  Wow..

It surprises anyone who has actually done the math too.

Intel/AMD systems draw a *lot* of power IMHO.

"real" systems do use a lot of power, but I think that's mainly because
they support a lot of drives, RAM, etc.

PC processors and RAM really eat a lot of power.  Just one stick of
SDRAM on my Athlon K7 machine uses 3A of 3.3v power.