[rescue] Anybody remember MFM? (Durango Poppy II problem)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Aug 6 02:38:14 CDT 2003

Walter Belgers wrote:

> I found a 'test disk' with some tools, but any tool that tries to
> read/write the harddisk fails, so the controller is probably broke.

Did you check the jumpers on the drive? MFM drives have jumpers too.

> Hm, then I guess I'm out of luck.

I don't think so. If you have one of these so did someone else. You just have
to have to wait for these things to come to you. Have faith, they will.

I'll give you an example. I always wanted to try A/UX and never could.
I got a copy of the software, but the only thing I had to run it on
was an SE/30 with a flakey power supply and no network card.

To me, no network card makes a computer almost useless, no matter what OS
it runs.

Macs are rare beasts in Israel, and buying things like a 68040 to upgrade
the 68040lc Mac I had, ethernet cards or even tranceivers, keyboards and
mice, CD-ROM drives, etc that still work are hard to find and expensive.

So the AUX project languised on a shelf until a local Mac "fix it" guy
decided to concentrate on power Macs, and sold me 2 68040 systems in
working condition complete with 28m ram, CD-ROM drives, ethernet
complete with 10baseT tranceivers, keyboards and mice, for what it would
have cost me to get the transceivers and ship them over here, pay import
duty, etc. They also had 130m drives, but you can't do much with them.

You just have to wait and it will come to you.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM: geoffrey_mendelson at hotmail.com (Not for email)