[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Aug 6 01:50:16 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 06:59 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>> I agree with every thing you say about FC-AL... but the only part that
>> isn't very standard is when you a drive in a machine that doesn't
>> have a
>> FC-AL backplane... I don't think that they would want everyone using
>> t-cards to hookup drives in their systems.  That and they like
>> charging an
>> arm and a leg for new FC-AL stuff...
>
> Hm, don't think Dave can trick me in thinking fc-al is actually
> affordeable...
> not for small systems at least.

   I'm not trying to trick you...I'm trying to give you useful
information so you can use better hardware.  Do whatever you want.

   As a data point, my file server (an AlphaServer 4100) is happily
talking to an A5000 nearly full of 18GB and 36GB FC-AL disks.  I bought
the A5000 empty for $500 two years ago, and have been getting brand new
18GB FC-AL disks for $14.95 and 36GB ones for like $40 regularly on
eBay.

   Do you need a calculator for this?

          -Dave