[rescue] backup software

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Aug 5 15:52:55 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 02:04:47PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 01:35 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> >>  Yeah gEDA/gschem has always been pretty good, and it's gotten REALLY
> >>good just recently.  It's not quite on-par with a Mentor Graphics
> >>system, but I like it just fine.
> >
> >Any idea how it compares to Protel (what we use here)?
>
>   Nope, never seen Protel.  Windows and all.

I don't know what platforms it is/isn't on.  I just know that they use
it here.  No where near as costly as Mentor (which they'd like to use).

> >>  And PCB has a built-in autorouter now, and all sorts of other cool
> >>stuff.  And gEDA/gschem can now write netlists that PCB can read.
> >
> >What do you use for simulations?  That free spice clone?
>
>   I use spice; it's free.  I wasn't aware that there were any clones of
> spice.  Other simulators, sure, but clones?

I was led to believe (in part to all the free "versions" of spice, and
in part by the next engineer over) that spice was a commercial system,
with a free beer version for students (pspice).