[rescue] Motorola Powerstack

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Tue Aug 5 12:32:07 CDT 2003

I rescued a Motorola Powerstack computer. Seems to be a nice machine:
300 MHz PowerPC 604e, 256K L2 cache, 67 MHz FSB, 33 MHz PCI, 64M ECC EDO
RAM, 10/100 network, some yet-to-be-identified SCSI controller with wide
SCSI-III interface, 2.1G SCSI HDD, some cheap PCI video. It comes in a
miditower Motorola case. Meant for WinNT/PPC and AIX - AFAIK.

So far, so good. The only problem is that there seem to be two passwords
in the BIOS - novice and admin. Both are set and both are unknown. And
yes, it looks more like a BIOS than a PROM :) - its colorful and graphic
and has menus and icons and can use ps2 mouse etc...:)

Without the password, the thing still tries to boot. It fails to load OS
from the HDD, floppy and network. The device paths look like Open
Firmware: /pci/ethernet at 4:bootp, /pci/scsi at 2/disk at 0,0 etc. So I can
probably get it to boot from the network if I find an OS.

The big question: how can I reset the password without making the
machine unusable? It tells that its configuration checksum passes tests
currently. Does anyone know what effect will resetting the configuration
have - does it still boot and/or require password etc?

Second question - where can I obtain AIX for this beast?

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)