[rescue] backup software

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Aug 4 17:01:28 CDT 2003

Michael A. Turner wrote:

> 	All,
>
> 	Can you guys throw me some names of backup software you use?
> Apparently someone has let the backup industry start smoking crack cause
> there prices are HIGH. I was mad at veritas for a $20K quote for software
> until I just got the quote from bakbone for $35K. This is plain silly. I
> only have about 30 windows servers, a solaris server, and a couple linux
> servers here. There pricing structure is so out of whack I cannot make heads
> or tails of it right this minute.
> 	So if anyone can point me in the direction of some software to look
> at I would apreaciate it. $1K per server is just not gonig to cut it,
> especially not for just the software.

Look at HP omniback. I think it's now called something like dataprotector.

You can download the demo (hint download each of the cds). It requires
an HP/UX or Sparc Solaris server and costs about $5k. The demo runs
for 60 days and can be extened by sending an email.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM: geoffrey_mendelson at hotmail.com (Not for email)