[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Mon Aug 4 13:13:21 CDT 2003

>>Actually it is an improvement.  This means you get the full SATA
>>bandwidth to each drive; and the CDROM will no longer slow down the
>>disk transfers.  Having 4 or more controllers on board in each system
>>means you can instantly do 3-drive software RAID.
>

> True. If I'm not mistaken, scsi allows 256 commands to be sent to the drive at
> once, IDE only one. Moreover, the controller has to wait for a reply to come
> back in order to sent the next command, even if it is for the other disk of
> the 2. So place 2 disks on the same cable and they start fighting for
> bandwidth.

And with SCSI, I only need *one* controller to instantly do RAID... I
don't think having to purchase one controller per drive in order to
overcome *one* of the IDE protocol's shortcomings is an improvement. To
duplicate even a narrow SCSI setup, you'll need to buy seven
controllers. I know they come 2, 4, 8 to  a card, but they ain't givin'
away them 8-controller ones...

Steve