An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Aug 2 11:32:07 CDT 2003

On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 10:39 AM, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
>> See also: Mosaic -> Mozilla, and possibly IPV4 -> IPV6.
>
> Were the first couple of Netscape releases that much more complicated
> than
> Mosaic?

   We all moved to Netscape from Mosaic because it was like ten times
faster.  It wasn't as pretty but it was SO much faster.  The original
Mosaic didn't do multiple simultaneous connections (i.e. to flesh out
the objects which were included on a single page) but Netscape did,
providing a tremendous performance advantage.

   A performance advantage which disappeared completely when they
started implementing REALLY FUCKING STUPID
clueless-college-boy-make-the-professor-happy ideas like user
interfaces coded in compiled-in, run-time interpreted Javascript.

   "YOU, with the C++ compiler and no knowledge of how computers work!
Back away from the keyboard with your hands up, NOW!"

   They used to say "It's spelled N-E-T-S-C-A-P-E but it's pronounced
'Mozilla'".

          -Dave