[rescue] Re: Compiler

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Fri Aug 1 10:11:32 CDT 2003

Just an FYI, but I remember using cc on BSD 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3.  They
obviously had one, that was distributed with those.  Now granted, it probably
was the AT&T compiler, but I know the University I was at didn't pay for
the use of that....so while it may not have been free, they had access to
it, and the source to it.  I think this might have been why the BSD group
wasn't making that huge of a push to develop their own....I remember
the first posts Usenet about porting BSD to a Intel based platform...
because I was real psyched that they were going that way...and at the
time, I believe they had some sort of compiler (and it wasn't GNU...)
I believe they also were looking at <shudder>Borland or Microsoft</shudder>
or some other squirrelly PC compiler (i.e. Desmut(sp?) ).  But they had a way
to build it...(And that wasn't that bad $$ wise at the time, cause at most
Universities you could get cheap Academic versions of both...)

Just my $0.02 on the compiler front.

Earl