[rescue] Running VMS on NetApp Alpha board

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sun Apr 27 10:07:25 CDT 2003

I've been lured into a project to run an open-access BBS based around a VMS
program. Currently it is a VAX binary, but as it's written in C and the
source is apparently available, I think it should also run on Alpha. Some
bitrot may have occured since the VAX it used to run on was decommisioned
back in 1995 (and I was using the BBS way back in 1991.)

I have an option on a board that has been pulled from a NetApp system. It is
apparently an AT form factor board that has an Alpha processor but NetApp
firmware. I've been told it might be possible to get VMS running on this. I
don't have any further useful information on the board, sorry.

Apparently I can reflash the firmware to a "standard" version that will boot
a traditional OS, but that the firmware has disappeared from DEC's site.
Does anybody have a copy of this, and is it simple to do the flashing?

How would I then get VMS running on it? Is it merely a case of sticking a
SCSI disk and CD-ROM onto it (assuming onboard SCSI, which seems likely for
a NetApp board) and sticking in install media? Where would I get such media
from?

Finally, assuming I get it booting and working, is there an idiot's guide to
VMS around? I've forgotten most of the VMS I ever knew because I've been
using Linux boxes too much.

Sorry if I've asked too many FAQs here - STFW has drawn a blank.

Thanks in advance.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key