[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 10:00:45 CDT 2003

Sorry - old topic/response...

--- Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> Although, with Redhat now doing their "Enterprise Linux" push,
> they're not realizing that they're killing the price-advantage versus
> Windows. They want $179 for the "Basic Edition", which includes one
> year of updates - and then another $200/year (I think) for updates
> after that.

Don't forget that you pay for each client hanging off a Windows server
- there are no similar per-user license fees w/RedHat/Linux...

You have to license the server (Win2K w/5 client licenses is $799), the
client (WinXP Pro aprox. $200 bundled price), making a five-user, one
server configuration cost $1,799 *plus* the cost of the hardware. ;^)

RedHat at $179 for each client (Enterprise WS),and $359 for each server
(Enterprise ES) - is $1,254, a 30% initial cost savings, and additional
desktops are $179/ea. Now, you don't need supported OS for a desktop
(it IS a free OS after all), and if you go with the free downlaod OS
for your clients, it has a savings of almost 80%...

Paying 110% of purchase price for additional support seems "odd", but
your numbers seem to match my memory (added offerings with maint.
contract, IIRC)...

=====
Lionel