[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale at buy.com)

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sun Apr 27 07:44:45 CDT 2003

> We used to call that "sticktion".  Supposedly came from over
> oiling the spindle.  Always sounded like BS too me but i have
> known of several drives with that problem, although the cause
> was not verified.

When I first started my current job, we had a 3/80 that showed that
problem with the 105Mb root drive. I think I even recall a bulletin from
Sun or Quantum about it. The official instructions were three steps I
believe: first, tap the drive, second unmount it and tap it, third,
remount it and drop the whole case about an inch onto the table. I may
misremember, but I think that was the solution.

We had to go one step further. My co worker had to unmount and
disconnect the drive and whack it on the table. When that didn't work
for me (and I figured the drive was lost) I opened it up and gave the
paltters a push. ;) Didn't work. Would have been really funny if it did
though.

Steve