[rescue] Tektronics Phase Question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Apr 26 22:36:41 CDT 2003

On Saturday, April 26, 2003, at 09:36 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Looking for (quick) opinions on Tektronix Phaser 380.
>>
>> It is used (no guarantee but prints out a beutiful test page).
>>
>> Is this the one that isn't good for photo work (continuous tone ???) ?
>
> I would not buy a Phaser 3-series, period.  In my experience, they have
> reliability issues, are absurdly expensive to run, take fifteen minutes
> to warm up, and don't produce very good output.

   Agreed on all but the output.  I've run maybe a half dozen of those
printers, and in every case the output has been wonderful.  I wasn't
trying to print stuff that they weren't designed to print,
though...remember these aren't continuous-tone devices.  They're built
for fields of solid color, as in business graphics.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
St. Petersburg, FL