[rescue] KVM and Sunfire 280r

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 26 20:20:34 CDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> Numerous people have put framebuffers and consoles on Cray's before.
> Reportedly, even Apple has done it.  So why not the E10k?  Presumably
> there is no other way ot get graphics out of the system than by a card
> on the system bus, and if you have a fb in the machine, why not a
> keyboard and mouse?

Because graphics heads do not belong on servers.  Even SGI knows that.
You can't toss a head on a Challenge XL without a great deal of work.
Servers are NOT workstations.  They have consoles.  These consoles are
for installing the OS, performing emergency maintenance, and monitoring
hardware--not for showing pretty pictures.

--
Jonathan Patschke *) "who has been feeding my cats crack again??  they
Thorndale, TX     (*  were doing chuck norris shit all over the apartment