[rescue] OpenBSD on Intel (actually)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Apr 26 17:10:40 CDT 2003

Jeffrey Nonken said ...

> Heh. OK, I thought you were trying to use limited available hardware to
> solve a problem.

Well, it _is_ limited, in the sense that I don't have an infinite supply of
it, but I do have, I dunno, a dozen or so old PCs of various types just
sitting around.  Most are rather aged, though, and while the CPUs are fast
enough to make a decent router, other things make 'em hard to use without a
bit of work.  Some are '386 and early '486, take 30-pin SIMMs, and only
recognize small quantities of RAM.  A couple are first generation Pentia,
with the FP error, and with EISA slots.  Etc.

To make the deal work, I needed a machine with USB ports, or with PCI slots
so I could add a USB card; it was going to sit between a wireless link (off
the USB port) and an Ethernet.  Thus the choice of the Dell.  It has PCI
slots, but it's otherwise pretty odd: a non-booting SCSI controller, a BIOS
I can't get into.  Etc.

I also have a few Suns I don't currently use.  I'd have used one of them for
the firewall project, but all are SBUS, and none have USB ports.

Most of the relatively decent PCs (and other machines) I have are in actual
use doing more-or-less useful work, so, in a sense, I _was_ picking from a
limited supply.  After Eric made off with the P-150 with USB ports, the Dell
was the best of the rest.

I hope I haven't worn everyone out on this....

-Shel