[rescue] SS Classic Serial ports

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Apr 26 12:27:11 CDT 2003

Lionel Peterson says ...

> What about getting one of those small cable/DSL routers with a serial
> backup port - hook your modem up to that? They run well under $50 and
> support high-speed serial by design. Does the serial support really
> need to be *in* the sun box?

That's a _great_ idea.  Easily-upgradable-to-broadband serial router with
firewall and NAT, for about the price of the bits you'd need to convert an
old '486 into a router, but with much less time invested.  And _much_ less
grief.

Thanks for reminding me that such things exist.  In fact, I think my ISDN
router will do that.  It has a PCMCIA slot for a modem.  I think it's really
for inward-call-based maintenance access, but if I can find the manual I'll
see if it would also work for outbound serial.  Using that as a backup
connection would be a whole lot easier than my current solution.

-Shel