[rescue] indigo2 HELP!!!!!

Andrew Giedraitis andycadd at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 26 12:14:08 CDT 2003

I wrote in earlier with a problem with my indigo2 (I actually have 2 as well
as an Iris, my SGI320 + SGI330 both work great)
none came with disks I've worked out the hardware whortage and the HINV
command shows a (1) and a (2) disk in place as well as the cdrom(3)    for
this attempt I'm using the 250 mhz R4400  the hardware test finds the IDE on
the cdrom and runs  very slow how long should it take?

unfortunately the installer   6.5.x  needs a valid swapfile to install I
asked about other machines which could label these disks
and got a response which worked [almost]

I type boot -f dksc(0,3,8) sashARCS

it reads the CD displays some garble about MAGICxxxx  (5 or 6 lines)

and says something about PANIC

below are the instructions I received and part of my original request

I tried multiple combinations on both machines

any other ideas or refinements
can anyone label a few disks for me if I send them on sleds for a nominal
fee if necessary [single dad, crappy job, 2 teenage children, 1 being
recruited by Harvard (fat chance $$$) ]

Hello Andrew,

Thursday, April 10, 2003, 9:29:32 AM, you wrote:

> but I go to install and I can't get around the lack of a "label" and/or
> swapfile area to get the install started, (a place to put the temporary
files
> during the install) is there anyway to label an SGI disk from a sun,
> linux(intel),intel,or Mac

  assuming your CDROM drive is external and has SCSI-ID #1 try the
  following from the command monitor to load fx from your installation
  media (labelled "Installation Tools" in case of IRIX 6.5):

  boot -f dksc(1,1,8)sashARCS
               ^ ^
               | |
               | +--- SCSI ID

               +--- SCSI Bus

  Then at the Prompt:

  dksc(1,1,7)stand/fx.ARCS -x

  (In case of an R10000 Indigo 2 replace sashARCS for sash.64 and
  fx.ARCS for fx.64)

  Inside fx use the label menu to create all labels, repartitioning as
  a rootdrive might also be a good idea. Exit and retry installing.
  mkfs is invoked automatically during the installation process.