[rescue] plastics reaction

Chad Fernandez fernande at internet1.net
Sat Apr 26 10:04:17 CDT 2003

William Enestvedt wrote:
> Curt wrote:
>
>>...the oils/chemicals in the plastics of the printer cable
>>insulation reacted with the printer plastics, and softened/melted
>>them.... Anyone ever seen this happen before ?
>>

>    Yup: the rubber feet on a few old external SCSI drive cases turned into goo
> where they rested on a melamine-topped desk and left long, sticky streamers
> when I picked up the case. Yuck.
> -wde

I picked up an IBM PS/2 Model 77 that had feet that had turned to goo.
It really surprised me, since I didn't expect something like that to
happen with IBM hardware. Although, I suppose a company can't plan for
every potential surface of contact.  I just wish I didn't get the stuff
on the seat in my truck :-(

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA