[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale at buy.com)

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Fri Apr 25 19:34:19 CDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:

> They'd stick to the platter. When you powered them up, you either had to
> shock the drive enough to unstick the heads, or manually turn the
> stepper motor. Both of those being wonderful things to do to a hard
> drive.

Hee hee.  Yup, we used to keep a hammer around and whack on those old Sun
105's when they'd stick.  Pain in the ass to move one of those big old
heavy ass Sony monitors off the case, open it up, whack things, put it all
back...

And when people would visit the sysadmin cave they never failed to notice
and ask "What's the hammer for?" to which we had a number of clever and/or
evil replies. :-)

-- Chris