[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale at buy.com)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Apr 25 19:26:01 CDT 2003

I used to have one of those drives that I got off ebay in like 1997 or
so for like $85... had a 17ms access time.  I used it in a Mac IIx to
install OpenBSD on.  I had to hunt around for a formatting tool to get
it to work, but once it did it worked like a charm... sounded like a
jet when it spun up... It would chitter lightly when running Mac OS
7.5.5, but when running OpenBSD it would vibrate the table.  How did I
fit the critter in a IIx you might ask?... I didn't... I put it in a PC
XT desktop case and ran the ribbon cable out the back slots and into
the IIx.  The thing stacked up looked like a Gigantic Lisa.

Andrew