[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale at buy.com)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 25 17:56:27 CDT 2003

On Friday, April 25, 2003, at 07:42 AM, Kevin wrote:
> We used to call that "sticktion".  Supposedly came from over
> oiling the spindle.  Always sounded like BS too me but i have
> known of several drives with that problem, although the cause
> was not verified.

   Nope, not BS at all...very well (and "officially") documented.  As a
matter of fact, the term "stiction" was coined by an engineer at either
Maxtor or Miniscribe (I don't recall which) to describe the condition.

   A poorly-chosen lubricant was applied to the spindle bearings.  In
operation, it spun out onto the platters and gummed up.  When the heads
land, they stick to it.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire