[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale at buy.com)

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Fri Apr 25 15:17:50 CDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:44:12 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix
<shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> At one shop where I worked we used to make bets on when a Micropolis
> drive died.  None made it past 2 weeks.
>
> I heard that they were actually assembling drives in plain offices, just
> to cram enough out the door to keep from going bankrupt, at one point
> near the end.

I'm trying to remember if Micropolis was the brand I had with the heads
that would stick... or maybe that was Mitsubishi.

They'd stick to the platter. When you powered them up, you either had to
shock the drive enough to unstick the heads, or manually turn the stepper
motor. Both of those being wonderful things to do to a hard drive.

---
Reader not found... please notify tagline.