[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale at buy.com)

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Apr 25 11:48:31 CDT 2003

I'm not sure where Micropolis went wrong...  when I first started getting
into "higher" capacity drives (300 to 600 meg), I swore by Micropolis (these
were SCSI drives for the curious).  They were built like "black bricks", and
I have yet to have one fail (although I currently don't have any in service,
but may use a 600 in my Sun2/120 when I bring it back to life).  They were
some of the most reliable drives I used in the day.  That's when CDC/Imprimis/
Seagate 327 Meg full heights would up and die (although they did give pretty
long service life... but the Micropolis drives kept going).

I worked at Sun at the time, and a hardware guy I talked to said something
about track drift/correction problems on the 327s (CDC/Imprimis/Seagate)
due to the fact that they put the "Tracking head/platter" on one end of the
platter stack rather than the middle... causing eventual track drift
beyond tolerance on the other end of the platter stack....  truth ? fiction ?
Don't know...

>From what I heard Micropolis started going down hill around the time of the
1991 9 Gig drive and beyond.... with some occasional good models mixed in
with all the junk.

Brings back so many memories.... like the one where I thought a 68 meg
and 327 meg drive were all I'd ever need :-) ... now I have a 100 Gig
fileserver damn near full :-)

-- Curt