[rescue] KVM and Sunfire 280r

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Fri Apr 25 10:38:11 CDT 2003

> >    What...?  You say this is an Oracle server.  This machine has no
> > business having a monitor and keyboard attached to it.
>
> Suits these days can't get into their heads that computers can exist
> apart from monitors and keyboards.  The intellectual damage caused by
> Windows is deeper than you think.
>
> --
> Jonathan Patschke *) "who has been feeding my cats crack again??  they
> Thorndale, TX     (*  were doing chuck norris shit all over
> the apartment
>                   *)  this morning"
> --alex j avriette

	That is part of it, and part of it is the fact that the digital Unix
box this is going to replace once had a very very nasty accident. The cable
to the raid array got bumped and it came loose ever so slightly, enough
though to break the connection. The OS immediately died and went to a blue
failure screen. On reboot it dumped into the machine level menu. Without the
monitor we would not have been able to get the machine restarted and back to
a point were we could use it headless. We would have stood around wondering
why it was unreachable.
	The thought here is that we only needed that monitor once in a
really bad way, but we had to have that connection. We need to have
something in place in case we have another devastating problem in the
future. This is also why we do not want to spend $3K for that monitor. If we
can spend $200 to get this connected to the existing KVM then everything
will be hunky dory for us. We just want that connection "In Case".

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org
http://www.whro.org