[rescue] pls help with monitor decision

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Apr 24 23:47:44 CDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 11:55:45PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> I have got rid of my 15" LCD laptop and am now in the process of
> building out an OpenBSD based desktop.
>
> Would love to hear all your opinions on getting a new monitor, in terms of:
>
> LCD vs. CRT
> do you need more than 1280x1024 resolution
> DVI vs. normal HD15 conenctor

Watch Dell this weekend for specials. Last weekend they did a
cool deal where you got a P4 workstation for free with purchase
of an 18" TFT display. Actually it was workstation with TFT for
$500-700 or so, but you get the point.

I think 1280x1024 would be quite enough for up to an 18" display.
DVI vs HD15 shouldn't make a difference unless you get a really
uberfancy display adapter. My 15" display has HD15 and DVI, and I
just got a $10 adapter so I can run another HD15 into it on the
DVI port.

> bonus question: best video card for 2D work?  I do no real 3d stuff,
> just lots of Mozilla windows and xterms.  Under $70 is the price range
> for an AGP card.  Have seen 64MB Radeon's for about $70.

Can't help on that. If you want a 64MB PCI Diamond Fire GL 4000
really cheap, I have spares--they're not supported under XP and
that's what I needed a PCI card for :( Dunno how they are supported/
accelerated under XFree86, but they look cool. :)

--Rob