[rescue] Speaking of old SGIs...

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Thu Apr 24 10:38:11 CDT 2003

Hello all,

I'm trying to resurrect an old 4D/60G which has been in my possession for
quite a while. It always had a flakey graphics subsystem but it did
(and still does) boot into the operating system and I could log in.
Before cleaning the boards backplane contacts it would show something
on the screen, but the PROM wouldn't detect the graphics option. Now
with these contacts cleaned that is no longer an issue but the machine
dumps always core when the OS tries to load the graphical user
interface complaning about a "Data Bus Error". The GF3 has two empty
sockets near the Motorola CPU and I wonder if that is the way it is
supposed to be. Does anybody on this list have a Professional Iris
with "G" graphics option? I could use some ideas here...

Gerhard