[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 23 18:38:04 CDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 03:27:02PM -0400, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:

> "If I write my own code, etc., I can license it any way I want."
>
> True. But keep in mind: If you write in C, chances are pretty gosh darned
> good that you'll be using functions from the C library. Console I/O, disk
> I/O, sorting, string manipulation -- you name it.

This is correct.

But the code that I write to use those functions is still my code.

I think you are confusing code source with binaries.

If I statically link a binary that you wrote, part of that binary is
legally yours, and I have to consult you about distribution.

But that in no way implies that my code is yours, no matter how
dependent it might be.

> If you link in somebody's C library YOU ARE SUBJECT TO THE LICENSE TERMS OF
> THAT LIBRARY. Period.

This is actually a gray area.

However, again, the code I wrote is still mine.

In fact, I may very well have no idea what libraries it will link
against.  There are more C libraries around the world than I could ever
know about, and its quite sensible to assume that my code will run under
a number of them, and with some porting effort, a lot of them.

It is still my code.

> So: Your choices are: 1) Find another library that has license terms you
> can live with. 2) Roll your own. 3) Entirely leave out all functionality
> that requires any of the functions in that library. 4) Forget it. 5)
> Violate the terms of the license.

If law and license is unethical, #5 is your only rational choice.