[rescue] SS Classic Serial ports

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 23 18:42:25 CDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:46:15AM -0500, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> > Sun has not always used the best of serial ports, and I've heard of lots
> > of mixed results....  my feeling is it should do it, I just can't say
> > wether or not it will do it.
>
> Well, if it doesn't, I have a U1, which should.

Nope.

No Sun has fast serial ports, except the PCI based Sun's.

If you have an sbus Sun, the only way to get fast serial ports is to buy
something like a Magma serial port card.

I've been trying to get one for 2 years now.  The only ones I can find,
the owner wants too much for them.

It's sad, but I can pick up an old PC for nearly nothing, which will do
the job just fine, and for far less money than a decent serial board for
sbus.

If you want a Sun which can run a fast modem (or any fast serial link)
with on-board ports, you need to get one of the PCI machines.  For
example, the U30 can run its serial ports fast.