[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 23 16:05:49 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 23, 2003, at 04:59 PM, Kevin Loch wrote:
> While that addresses the required kernel hack, it does not addres
> the missing VME support.  If vme support is provided in an
> installable package, the one from 2.5.1 might work in 2.6.

   There's actually very little in the way of VME hardware that one
would actually *want* to use on a 4/600.  What it doesn't have onboard
can be gained with Sbus cards.

> There is a benefit to the missing vme support.  You can
> run a bunch in one cage!

   You can run a bunch in one cage anyway, regardless of OS support.

   All you have to do is turn on VME loopback in OBP.  Some earlier boot
ROM revs don't support this, but upgrading the boot ROMs is trivial.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols