[rescue] SGI Personal Irises- Free

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Apr 23 15:25:42 CDT 2003

On 2003.04.23 20:20 Gerhard Lenerz wrote:

> On the other hand a 4D/35 (36 MHz R3000) runs circles around
> an R3000 Indigo -
Really? What makes it so much faster? Isn't the R3k Indigo IP12 too and
uses the same RAMs?
BTW: Yes, IRIX 5.3 runns quite good on that iron.

> PLUS sounds a lot more like a real computer.
... especially if you have a full set of options (biplane, Z-buffer, 4
GE, audio) and a VME FDDI card that needs 50 W on its own. (Got a
working 4D/35 some days ago.) I had to realize that the fan in that
machine is temperature controled. After some minutes of operation it
switches to "turbo" mode...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen