[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Apr 23 14:46:59 CDT 2003

Jeffrey Nonken <jeff_work at nonken.net> wrote:
[...]
> If you link in somebody's C library YOU ARE SUBJECT TO THE LICENSE TERMS
> OF THAT LIBRARY. Period.

Surely this only applies if you statically link with that library?

Remember that a license can only grants rights, and if I don't accept the
library, regular copyright law applies. Since dynamic linking doesn't
incorporate the library, there's no copyright infringement.

> If that C library has a GNU license, guess what?

You're subject to the terms of that library...

However, glibc is actually licensed under the LGPL, which grants many more
rights than the more common GPL does. Commercial closed-source software can,
and does, link with it, and it's completely legal.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key