[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 23 14:31:03 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 23, 2003, at 03:20 PM, Robert Novak wrote:
>>   Yeah that always cracks me up.  Some idiots seem to actually believe
>> machines get slower with age!
>
> Everything is relative, as the Mormons say. But you know that. How
> would
> Solaris 9 run on a 4/110 (if it supported that far back)? Identical to
> 4500?
>
> :)

   You have a point there, but Solaris9 isn't a particularly good OS
choice for a 4/110...and only part of that has to do with it being a
"slow" or "fast" OS (ignoring for the moment that, as far as I'm aware,
Solaris9 doesn't run on sun4-architecture machines like the 4/110).

   An OS that is tuned and optimized to run on those machines, however,
can perform an amazing amount of work on them.  No, not what a 4500 can
do, but a HELL of a lot more than Solaris9 on a 4/110 (again if it were
possible).

   Samba, Postfix, Apache httpd, for example, will all run Just Fine on
a 4/110 running, say, SunOS4 or NetBSD/sparc.

   I'm in a rush...I'm sure you understand my point.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols