[rescue] SGI Personal Irises- Free

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Wed Apr 23 13:20:52 CDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:00:30 -0700
Dan Canaan <flinters at picarefy.com> wrote:

> I'm surprised nobody has responded on this yet.  Perhaps the message didn't
> go through originally.  Anyways, either someone picks up these units from
> the list or they go to a local swap meet with 'free' on them to just get
> them out of the house.

Uuuh... I'd pick them up, really. But it4s a bit too far to travel from here
to the US. If you should some day decide to part them out and are willing to
ship we might be able to work something out.

> Item:  SGI Personal Iris, aka the big brown box
> Qty: 5
> Location: Federal Way, WA (Puget Sound area)

Just out of curiosity: Do you have any further specs at hand?

> These beasties all power up but need and OS.  I believe up to Irix
> 5.3.

Yup, 5.3 is the maximum for *all* Personal Iris. I don't think that it is
much fun on 4d/20 though (12.5 MHz R2000). On the other hand a 4D/35 (36 MHz
R3000) runs circles around an R3000 Indigo - PLUS sounds a lot more like
a real computer.

> I'd rather see that a list member gets them as they will recognize them for
> what they are and have a better chance of putting them to use.  A flea
> market will have people looking at them and thinking "Cool! Big old
> computer!" but not have a clue what to do next.

Scrap the innards and install a Pentium IV 2GHz?

Gerhard