[rescue] SPARCstorage Array Model 214 RSM

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Apr 23 13:01:04 CDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 01:27:13PM -0400, robert_brooke gravitt wrote:
> Anyone know anything about the SPARCstorage Array Model 214 RSM?
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2724228828&category=30969>
>
> The link to sunsolve brings up an error. Googling doesn't give a lot of info, other than indicating it should have a Fibre interface, which this one doesn't seem to have (it has a HVD interface.)

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SSA_214_7Slot/SSA_214_7Slot.html

Dual power supply, SE SCSI inside (7 bays with big carriers), HVD SCSI
outside. People here have reported luck with upgrading to 18GB disks,
which would give you RPS on a 126GB array pretty cheaply. They're not
too heavy either.

Be warned, there are some of these that have 220-only power supplies.
Some have said that *most* have switchable, but I have two 220-only
RSM214 boxes here. They do exist.

If anyone has an interest in 1-2 of the 220-only ones, let me know.
I think I'm keeping my 110/220 switchable one, in case I end up with
money anytime soon and can upgrade to 18 or 36gb disks. I just sold
a switchable to a local friend who's going to run a bank of $9 9gb
disks on his U2 with a DSBE card, and use the 4gb drives in the array
for mirrored boot disks in his Suns.

If you're more interested in space than LVD performance, they're a
good deal, or can be at least. Fairly compact, easily rackable, and
HVD can enable you to use far longer cable runs from the computer to
the storage array.

--Rob