[rescue] SPARCstorage Array Model 214 RSM

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 23 12:39:03 CDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, robert_brooke gravitt wrote:

> Anyone know anything about the SPARCstorage Array Model 214 RSM?

It's a SCSI enclosure with an SE<->DIFF bridge and just enough logic to
make sure that each of the drives gets a predictable SCSI ID.  Unless
you have the head unit to go with it, you don't want it.  You can't get
a useful SE port out the rear, so you're stuck with the bridge which
limits your throughput to 20MB/s.

> The link to sunsolve brings up an error. Googling doesn't give a lot of
> info, other than indicating it should have a Fibre interface, which
> this one doesn't seem to have (it has a HVD interface.)

214 RSMs do not have fibre.  The systems they are designed to fit in
either have fibre (Sun StorEdge A3500FC) or do not (Sun StorEdge A3500).

If you have the A3500 head unit, you can easily build a low-density
storage system out of it and a few of those 214 RSMs, but the 214 RSMs
aren't particularly interesting in any other scenario.

--
Jonathan Patschke *) "who has been feeding my cats crack again??  they
Thorndale, TX     (*  were doing chuck norris shit all over the apartment