[rescue] OT: Games and workstations (was OT: Linux and USB on Intel)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 23 11:33:07 CDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 08:31:11PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Yes, but how much of that can be allocated as texture memory, and how
> much is for the framebuffer?  By the time you've allocated enough
> framebuffer for 1600x1200x32 double-buffered, you're already chewed up
> 15MB.  That leaves you 17MB for textures, at -best-, assuming that the
> video memory isn't used as scratchspace for geometry calculations, and
> that textures are referenced, not copied, during intermediate
> calculations.

Yes, but its not uncommon for modern graphics cards to be 64 or even 128
megabytes, and there is software out there which will use it too!

If you dont' have it, the game either scales down, or uses RAM to
supplement on-board TRAM.  That's why they made AGP real fast, to shove
textures out there.

> 16MB of TRAM (that is, raw TRAM, not multiple copies of texture and some
> framebuffer, but all TRAM) is quite a lot.  I think SGI RealityEngine2
> only has 16MB of TRAM, and it's certainly up to snuff for playing games.

Not a game like Unreal Tournament 2K, or any of the new ones it isn't.