[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 23 11:11:52 CDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 12:00:58PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 10:53 AM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> >>When I reply, "yes it's fast" they invariably ask how many Ghz.  I
> >>tell
> >>them 300Mhz and their look of excitement immediately turns to disgust.
> >>"That's too slow." they say.  "How do you get any work done?" they
> >>ask.
> >
> >Heh... I run two servers at home.  When I tell people what they do they
> >are impressed.  They ask me if I'm running Intel or AMD CPUs.  Then I
> >tell them that both servers are Sun SS5's, around 10 years old.
> >Totally
> >different attitude after that.  Some have even said I was lying.  No
> >machine that old can do server work!
>
>   Sounds like you need to be more selective about who you let into your
> house. ;)

Who said I let them into my house?

I just mean during shop talk sessions and online discussions.

People refuse to believe that a 10 year old Sun can run servers.

What I want to know from these people is what do they think people ran
10 years ago?

Where does this idea that at some arbitrary point in their lives they
become unable to do the work they've been doing?