[rescue] OpenBSD on Intel

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Apr 22 21:06:53 CDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Do I insert that during the short pause when the "boot>" prompt is on the
> screen?

Yes.

> At that same point?

Well, after you do boot -c, you'll get a UKC prompt (User Kernel
Config).  You can type help for more information.  UKC allows you to
make changes to the kernel before it is loaded.  Unfortunately, I
haven't found a way to make it save your changes, so it's more for
diagnosis than fixing.  Once you figure out which driver is wedging
things, you can remove it from the kernel.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's one of the Adaptec SCSI drivers,
especially if your Dell has PERC RAID in it.  One of those drivers
wedges -hard- because it finds the Adaptec controller on the other side
of the PERC controller, and tries to initialize it around the PERC.

> I'd think so ... but why would that change?

That's the odd part.  It really shouldn't.  Did you plug in any USB
devices that weren't there before?

> Is there some way I can change the order of things?

No.

--
Jonathan Patschke *) "who has been feeding my cats crack again??  they
Thorndale, TX     (*  were doing chuck norris shit all over the apartment