[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel (actually OpenBSD)

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Tue Apr 22 14:29:06 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com>
To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 2:31 PM
Subject: RE: [rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel (actually OpenBSD)

> Various people said ...
>
> [for routing USB-to-Ethernet] [on Intel] [use OpenBSD]
>
> ... so I'm trying it.
>
> It took a while to find a machine here that could make a floppy of the
boot
> disk; neither rawrite.exe (1.2) nor rawrite2.exe (2.0) would do it under
> W2k, and none of the pukka Unix machines here have floppies, so I had to
> drag out an old W98 machine to make the floppies.
< snip >

For future reference, under Windows NT and Windows 2000, fdimage.exe
works (IME) much better that rawrite. To write an image with fdimage:
fdimage -qv floppy32.fs a:   this will skip formatting the disk and
simply do the equivalent of dd'ing the image to the floppy. I've
never had a problem with fdimage, but I have found rawrite to be
rather unreliable.

- MF