Nothing that old ... (was RE: [rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Apr 21 11:01:17 CDT 2003

Charles Shannon Hendrix said
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 09:36:38AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
> > When I reply, "yes it's fast" they invariably ask how many Ghz.  I tell
> > them 300Mhz and their look of excitement immediately turns to disgust.
> > "That's too slow." they say.  "How do you get any work done?" they ask.
>
> Heh... I run two servers at home.  When I tell people what they do they
> are impressed.  They ask me if I'm running Intel or AMD CPUs.  Then I
> tell them that both servers are Sun SS5's, around 10 years old.  Totally
> different attitude after that.  Some have even said I was lying.  No
> machine that old can do server work!

It's even better if it's one of the lunchboxes  ... old _and_ small.  When
folks see my set-up, they immediately assume the big tower PC is the
"server," since it's a huge case.  It's actually the back-up router, with a
'386, 1 MB RAM and a 328 MB HD, and never mind that's it's switched off.
It's huge, so it _must_ be the server.

When I point at the LX sitting on a shelf in the bookcase, well, they just
don't believe it's the time, DNS, file, mail, and backup server.  Nope, that
can't be it.  The SGI with the huge screen is really the server, right?  Oh,
it's switched off, too.  OK, it's that big DEC PC over there!  Hmmmm.  Not
even a power cord ....

This sort of thing can be a nice IQ test for visitors.

-Shel