[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 20 15:53:44 CDT 2003

On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 04:39 PM, David Passmore wrote:
>>    This whole "obsolete after four months" thing is a PC world thing,
>> not a Windows or Linux world thing.  Linux people tend to be at least
>> somewhat clueful (compared to Windows people) and can see through that
>> "buy me!" bullshit in the PC industry...but the Windows people see a
>> glossy ad in BusinessWeek and take it as if it were the word of God.
>
> Some Linux people are clueful. Some Linux people only /think/ they're
> clueful. To me, Linux world = PC world. It runs on other
> architectures, but
> its primary home is x86.

   Well, yes, I have to agree.

> That really is a separate community. I wholeheartedly believe that
> Windows
> has already done the vast majority of damage that it is going to do. I
> have
> never had to fight to keep Windows out of my systems, except at Digex,
> which
> was years ago-- the damage has already been done there.

   Well like I said about x86 being self-limiting...Windows is, to an
extent, self-limiting as well, from what I can see.  It's been a long
time coming, and it's a slow process, but people *are* moving away from
it.

>>    Like I said, I agree wholeheartedly with your reasoning as you
>> stated
>> in your original message.  I just believe that Linux is, by huge leaps
>> and bounds, the lesser of two evils.  I'd rather trust my paycheck a
>> serious, mature, stable operating system like Solaris, VMS, or HP-UX
>> over Linux any day...but given the choice between Linux and Windows,
>> well...it's all relative.
>
> It's not a choice between Linux and Windows. That's the point I've been
> trying to make here. It's a choice between Linux and commercial UNIXes.

   I know you don't agree, but I believe that, when all is said and
done, it'll boil down to Linux for desktops and "small" datacenter
applications, and Real Computers for serious datacenter crunching.

   And while I'm no huge Linux fan, frankly I'm fine with that.

> My point was not that 'anything old is bad'. Have you ever read old
> articles
> where Linux 'folks' heckle Andrew Tannenbaum for criticizing Linux's
> monolithic kernel? Tannenbaum has forgotten more about OS design than
> I will
> ever know. My point was that for some older techhnologies, there are
> better
> things out there, else everyone would be using bubble sort, or the

   Agreed.

> Lempel-Ziv encoding algorithm (wait, people still use ZIP... never
> mind).

   Well...not me. ;)

>>    Anyway.  I'm not trying to shoot down your point, in fact I agree
>> with it.  I'm just trying to explain my point of view more clearly.
>
> I still love you, Dave.

   *kiss kiss*

   FREAK. ;)

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols