[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Sun Apr 20 15:48:10 CDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 01:37:56PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:

> If the Windows mentality is to be blamed on Linux, it should be blamed
> as well on FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD equally as well. They do the same
> evil things (make old hardware usable, make new hardware more usable,
> cost less than $200/system to license). They do the same evil things,
> in various subsets, to other platforms as well.

Sigh. You've twisted my point into something I don't even recognize here, so
I have no idea how to reply to this. I can only widen my point from saying
Linux, to 'any OS that enables x86 hardware to displace big iron'. Happy?

> There's a SPARC classic in the other room that ran full bore for DNS and
> MX service on Linux for something short of 5 years. If that is proof of
> Linux teaching people that old hardware is expendable and in need of
> frequent replacing with bleeding edge gear, I think someone's having
> delusions, and he's not the one sitting in a room with two easter bunnies
> and a black cat. :-)

Can you make your point at all without calling me delusional? Well then do
so, please, and save your smilies for something else.

David